Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes you Knew

Here are ten interesting thoughts that Ellen Notbohm, author, columnist and mother of sons with autism and ADHD, has compiled, and I wanted to share them with you today.  

Below are the headings for each section. Please click HERE to read about them in more detail. 
  1. I am first and foremost a child. 
  2. My sensory perceptions are disordered. 
  3. Please remember to distinguish between won’t (I choose not to) and can’t (I am not able to). 
  4. I am a concrete thinker. 
  5. Please be patient with my limited vocabulary. 
  6. Because language is so difficult for me, I am very visually orientated. 
  7. Please focus and build on what I can do rather than what I can’t do. 
  8. Please help me with social interactions. 
  9. Try to identify what triggers my meltdowns. 
  10. Love me unconditionally. 
And finally, three words: Patience. Patience. Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tweet